Saturday, October 15, 2011

Autumnal ... to say the least!

It's hard to describe anything in the wood today without reverting to cliches!  Gold, brown, crisp... everything sounds a bit hackneyed!  So I looked back at inspiration I had found special in the past and came up with this beautiful leaf ... an oak leaf treated in medieval fashion, and brought to life with gold thread and various "contemporary" techniques!


... and then I realised ... what seemed like and "old" idea to me - maybe 3 years since I designed this motif - - is just a few moments in the life of an real oak tree, maybe 400 years ... which, in its turn, is just a flash, compared to the life of the wood itself ... thousands of seasons, spring upon spring, autumn upon autumn... so maybe I should not be downcast about looking back at previous designs.  "For everything  turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn ... and a time to every purpose under heaven!"


No comments:

Post a Comment