Thursday, January 12, 2012

11th January - footsteps in the leaves ...

Well, I am afraid it's been a week or more since I have been down to the wood ... as some of you will know from my facebok page, I have suffered a loss ... my beautiful cat, scourge of small wildlife beasties has passed away... and life is the poorer for it.

Today the woodland is quiet, with a breeze tossing the tops of the trees and hardly stirring the leaf mould underfoot.  Like everywhere else, I feel the lack of that little presence I had come to rely upon for company and diversion in so many ways.  But life goes on and there are ALREADY stirrings of new life and (dare I say it) spring in the woodland plants and shrubs.  Tiny, tiny budlets are appearing in the crevices of twigs and branches - hardly green and yet tantalizingly gold, yellow and pink.

As if to prove that all ill fortune finds a positive somewhere, the rabbits are out in force.  Raggy's rabbit hunting skills in the village were legendary and I can only misquote an epitaph given by the poet Robert Bloomfield to a favourite dog ... "Rabbits rejoice, here buried lies your foe".  RIP.

2 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine ... he had quite a fan club... a very special boy! I so appreciate yur kind thoughts!

      Delete